PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Required Charts
Thread: Required Charts
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2013, 08:39
Clearedtoreenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
iPads still are not an answer for this dilemma tho, as paper copies must still be carried
Wrong wrong wrong. Talk to CASA and read CAR233. If you fly under an AOC, CAO 82.0 Appendix9 + CAAP233. There's a whole another thread somewhere about this.

Summary: Yes you can use iPads, some people need a backup iPad (or paper) and you need to read the legislation.
I went to some CASA inspired educational love in recently. I think (don't quote me) a view was expressed, for at least most private and airwork ops that as long as the maps come from an approved source, you are fine with just an iPad because all you need is access to charts from an approved supplier. Ozrunways is the only approved supplier other than good old Airservices and so you're fine with just an iPad and Ozrunways. However, if your iPad falls over or your battery goes flat, you no longer have charts available and are in deep doo doo. A failed iPad was likened to losing maps out of the window All of which seems remarkably sensible(?)