PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying across the Tasman
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2013, 08:38
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theaviator332,
It's really quite straight forward. Only occasionally have I had the luxury of an HF, if it was a light aircraft ( I must admit, statistically, for most of my crossings of the pond I have had dual HF and dual sat/com data link) I have just relied on VHF relays via ever helpful RPT aircraft.

Have at least two GPS, for a handheld, both a power plug and plenty of spare batteries. Nice to have an ADF.

Wear your lifejackets over water, not just have them just "available" --- just in case, remember Murphy's Law. I always carry two rescue beacons, one in my pocket, and one marine type beacon that will float. Make certain your liferaft certification is current, if it is new in the wrapping, have it repacked --- a comment not made lightly.

Do your homework on Lord Howe Island --- see if you can get a copy of the written brief Qantaslink use --- and at least for the first time, only go there when the met is very very favorable with L/V winds. The wind blowing in three different directions along the length of the (short) runway is normal. If you already know how to read the turbulence from the water surface, so much the better. This is not the place for lazy airspeed control on approach, and long floats --- use full control authority at proper approach speeds, not high IAS, to handle any turbulence, and and get the aeroplane on the ground.

Clear customs/immigration at Lord Howe, folks are very pleasant to deal with.

Norfolk, stop the night, great people, watch the weather like a hawk (not like PelAir), just like Lord Howe, be very conservative, it can change very quickly.

NZ- Check the current customs/immigration entry points on the far north of the county, and make arrangements in advance for the customs man to be there. Stay away from Auckland International as an entry point (even if you have the range) --- mucho $$$$.

Do your homework on all the paperwork you will need, make certain you tick the right boxes, your don't really want to pay NZ GST on the aircraft.

There are many small airfields in NZ that have card operated fuel pumps, but are otherwise not attended. Last time I was there and needed to use one, they were oil company cards, but there was to a program to upgrade so they would take any credit card.

All the NZ rules are on the NZ CAA web site, have a good look at the basic rules, and buy the NZ topo maps and study then carefully, make certain you understand the NZ controlled airspace --- quite straightforward and friendly.

NZ gets windy, and places like Wellington and anywhere in the mountains of the south island, be very careful, get comprehensive briefings from local aero clubs and the like before you venture into the hilsl. The standing waves and orographic turbulence can be aeroplane busting.

The scenery is spectacular,the native are friendly, as is the local beer, have a great time.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 12th Sep 2013 at 08:41.