PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I unprofessional? Instructor/Airline pilot opinions
Old 12th Sep 2013, 08:25
Trolle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents, as an instructor and airline pilot in the US.

I think Chris needs to realize what information is a "must" and what is "gee, that would be nice".

Granted, I would give my students several days notice to plan a flight because we all have calendars and lives outside of the flight line. Plus, I teach at a small FBO not a large-scale school. However, I would expect a CPL student to be able to plan a flight on the wizz-wheel in under 60 minutes.

When I read this:

When i plan my cross countries, I'm very detailed. I don't just write down 6 checkpoints and tower and ATIS frequencies on a piece of paper. I write down frequencies for every airport along my route for emergency situations, I print and read every NOTAM for every airport along my route again for emergencies. I get FBO phone numbers/frequencies, fuel prices for every FBO, I call ahead of time to ask if there is space on the ramp for me to park at such and such time. I'm specific and detailed, and now im being blamed for being unprepared and that will most likely be marked down in my canceled flight today, which can someday be read at an airline interview if they are looking for my flaws.

The worst part is, my parents who fund my training, immediately took my flight instructors side saying i should have seen the text at 12 midnight and been up planning the cross country then went to sleep, yet in all my ground schools i'm lectured about the importance of at least 8 hours of sleep and the effects it has on safety, and I have flown with less and I underperformed, and it felt horrible.

So, with all of that being said:

Am I an unprofessional student pilot?
I am wondering why are you doing all that? Writing down frequencies for ALL airports along the route? You have a chart where somebody did that for you. Calling FBOs for fuel? Yeah, you may need to do that when working for a real outfit, but as a student what role will that play in your flight? Is your instructor asking you for this information? If so, show your instructor you can do it once and then you have demonstrated the capacity...I certainly would not require that my student do that every time. I have never flown on the East Coast but calling ahead for ramp space? I assume you are in a SEP and not an A380? If so, they can always squeeze you in somewhere on the ramp. Have you ever been told there wasn't space?

Is your instructor aware that you are doing all this? I would expect you to be able to plan a flight in a shorter time frame, however if you could not do that it is my job to figure out why. I am the INSTRUCTOR and therefore must INSTRUCT you. If my student said they were calling the FBO for the fuel price and ramp space and writing down all the frequencies. I would explain that is overkill and SELDOM a necessity for our flight. We are going to go on our training flight regardless. Reading every NOTAM from every airport along the route. Even the briefer doesn't do that for you. You should be able to scan the information in a few seconds and determine what is relevant and irrelevant. What do you need to know? The route, the weather, the fuel required, and any pertinent and relevant NOTAMS.

Finally, you are not an unprofessional student pilot. You are a student and asking if you are doing something wrong. Seems professional to me. Also, it seems to me that several are in agreement that you are too meticulous. And no airline is going to ask about this one cancelled flight...and if they do just tell them what happened and what you learned from it.

And yes...you will experience out in the real world that your boss is going to text you at 0100 with an update for a flight at 0800 and you better be ready to do what is asked of you to keep the customer happy...as long as you are legal and safe.

Last edited by Trolle; 12th Sep 2013 at 09:40.