PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2013, 07:53
Fixed Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late on Parade.

In response to Danny's 4269 " is there a Hunter man in the house?" - Sorry Sir! Here but late on Parade.

I did'n't join the Hunter force until the 60s and the T7 was well established in widespread service by then. However, I recall that some of my older colleagues had certainly converted direct to the single seat by the tried and tested Spitfire/Hurricane technique.

You have to remember that despite its exhilarating performance it was a basic flying machine with none of the complicating aids found in modern cluttered cockpits. You flew head out as much as possible with right hand on the stick and left on throttle. No navaids (other than a map and radio compass(located behind your right elbow and virtually impossible to tune in flight)). Thus a straight in first trip was not regarded as challenging.

Not quite the same thing but later in life I had the privilege to fly the last Meteor and Vampire when the Vintage Pair were active. At the end of the Summer season both aircraft disappeared into a hangar for some months only to reappear the next Spring by which time my colleague and I were out of currency. No problem-both aircraft were 2 seat trainers and we were both QFIs. We both climbed in,fired up, and on takeoff the one in control is immediately current and checked out the other.

I bet you are not allowed to do that now!