PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying across the Tasman
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2013, 01:27
theaviator332

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying across the Tasman

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone has attempted a flight from Australia to New zealand across the tasman. I am contemplating on attempting this trip and before departure I am hoping to gather as much advice and information as possible. Obviously the journey will most likely originate from Port Macquarie and then Lord Howe Island, followed by Norfolk island and then keri keri in New zealand or perhaps Auckland Int. (the aircraft doesn't have sufficient range to go direct to New Zealand and island hopping only involves legs with a maximum distance of 480nm-easily achievable by most aircraft at 140-150kts).

One of the major queries I have is regarding VHF radio. Obviously long flights over water are going to be outside VHF coverage and it would still be necessary to pass on position reports. Would it be recommended to bring along a satphone? Or simply try to contact airlines in the vicinity to pass on these reports. Probably don't want to be in a position where SAR is alerted.

This is a private aircraft registered under the Australian registry-so If i'm not mistaken, there are no restrictions in regard to flying it to New Zealand and around as well?

Any operational information regarding this flight would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone else has done it. Feel free to PM.

Kind regards and thx!