PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westland Scout research
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2013, 21:14
Gazzer1uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoilt rotten!!!

Gents,

I am humbled.

Silsoe, I would love to get a copy of those manuals, many thanks indeed. Being that it is a small county happy to travel and cross your palms with legal tender or bottled ferment as appropriate, and appreciate that they would be on loan. I am equidistant betwixt Banbury and Coventry.

Sloppy,

You are a true gent, perhaps I could arrange a visit when convenient? I'd be happy to share some stories as hinted in our PM's! I would certainly relish the engineers discussion.

It matters to me the principles of how the Scout was engineered, the reality in model terms to get to that level of operating detail is circumspect. That said..... the modern materials and manufacturing capabilities with 3 axis CNC, 3D printing and the like make replication much easier, but in scaling down, it doesn't always work to advantage. The turbine is a good example, the only functional design is more akin to the Whittle design with centrifugal action as opposed to axial. There are axial engines, but nothing yet off the shelf. The kind of turbine that will drive this used to need propane to start, so that the combustion chamber was hot enough to burn the kerosene, though now they have overcome that. All said, the molecule size is the same for model or full size as are the temperatures which mean vaporizing the fuel is tougher in the model as is heat dissipation with much smaller surface areas.

But that is where the challenge lies. Please also tell me if I am banging on too much. My life's regret is not to push myself when younger, physically and mentally. I know not whether I could have made it as a heli pilot, but I never made the chance or opportunity, this is as close as I can get and is a passion but one of which I wish not to bore you about!

I reckon we are looking at rotor diameter of about 2.4 metres when built, which is pretty large, so ought have some presence in the air and be large enough to detail in great accuracy.

First though the research, and then in tandem the mechanical development and the fuselage components.... better start loosening up my sanding arm!

Thank you again everyone, this is all really, really helpful and fascinating to boot.

Cheers,

Gaz