PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 11th Sep 2013, 16:49
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
26500lbs
I am not quite sure what your weather reference and CivSar references
sorry (I've already apologised to DB) it was rotorspeed wot said it!

But, you and I are in grave danger of agreeing here!
I have never advocated a 'manual is best' approach. I believe that manual flying skills are required as well as, despite even, the automatics - only then will a pilot know when it is going tits up and do something about it? Isn't that what went wrong at Sumburgh (from all we know via Pprune)?
I have never done the NS line job but I do understand the commercial pressures and constraints. I have spent a 'bit of time' with 'you guys' over the years but your reference to
It is just no good trying to fly a modern day operation in the NS with modern tech in the same way we ran a JHC operation
means that I must be quite a bit older than you, or you are very senior!
I can imagine that boredom is indeed a great problem as is complacency. If companies are reluctant to fund extra training time then I'm not sure how you address your deficiencies but extra automation doesn't seem to be going too well just now. Read what I've already said, you might discover that we're on the same side after all