PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 11th Sep 2013, 16:25
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Bogey - the weather ref came from rotorspeed, I beg your pardon, thought it was you
And absolutely, use autopilot whenever wx poor, as it was here with 2800m vis and 200/300ft cloudbase, but with two pilots
however, glad to explain how we all did it (and still do) - either we flew lower than the cloudbase at a speed commensurate with visibilty, if at night we would be on NVG. I don't think I'd be too happy sitting behind you doing the same, I was not always happy doing it myself but it was the job. I have no problem with the use of AFCS, AP's, or whatever the current kit is called and if you'd read my posts properly you would know that.
I entered this discussion because I could not understand why two pilots would permit a serviceable helicoter to crash into the sea in conditions that were not especially marginal (according to the metar). I initially thought that they must have run out of fuel, I didn't know that AP's might be to blame. Keep dunking that witch!