PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2013, 16:23
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Yellow pen I wasn't going to post again inspite of what I read in your post until say again posted.
So you have two lots of standard proceedures with respect to stabilised approach.
Of course the 500ft limit is the limit and not the target.
Perhaps I am wrong but I sense that an approach into home base is briefed and performed differently to a "tricky" airport.
I had a post deleted after I commented on a post of someone who was being wound up...his post was along the lines that "I wont reply as I have a sim check in 3 weeks and I need to open the books"... I stated the obvious (to me) that perhaps it might save his life if his knowledge was up to date all of the time.
Interestingly - to some - most of my near calls were at home base in benign weather...an unplanned go around on the Trident during my annual route check at LHR. A take off at Max AUW ZRH 16 one autumn evening when we hit a vicious wind shear and temperature inversion...both of the above we had to throw away SOP.
Another was a summer approach on 10L where we had a tailwind and wake turbulence..on two consequtive approaches.
No doubt you will see the similarity of the 777 at LHR where if they had been prepared they might have got away with it.
And the latest airbus fiasco ...I was taught "never change configuration" if you suspect airframe damage - again home base...and what did they apparently do...fly the whole departure before (and if) they realised the significance of loosing part of the aircraft.
Pilots like Sulley demonstrate what can be done and what the public expect from professionals.
Sith happens and it can happen at any time...
What is important is that you are ready for it.

Last edited by blind pew; 11th Sep 2013 at 16:25.