PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 11th Sep 2013, 15:39
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having moved from the SAR rotary world into the highly automated world of the airline industry I, perhaps, see this problem a little differently.

Hand flying and practice is, IMHO, essential. Given the correct weather conditions and prior briefing it is a crucial part of any pilots 'ability arsenal'.
Good use and knowledge of the automation systems, their purpose and limitations and their fallback and failsafe modes is also essential. With weather conditions marginal then the correct use of automation and the careful monitoring of the systems and aircraft position will, ultimately, add to a reduction in workload and an increase in SA.

Where these things start to fall over is when we, as the seat to stick interface, start to lose track of 'what is doing what' or place too much reliance either on the ability of the automatics to pull us out of trouble or our own 'god like' seat of the pants flying ability to be able to operate in marginal to dangerous weather without the automatics assistance.

Every pilot is different and will place emphasis on either side of the coin of 'automatics/manual'. The trick I have learnt over the years is to know when to switch from one to the other and in what circumstances.

The biggest problem with highly automated cockpits (like the one I now fly) is that the avionics and automatics are very closely interwoven. A 'minor' failure of a sensor can have ripple effects through the systems resulting in the loss of multiple automation aids. A major failure will see the crew dumped, irrespective of the weather, into a potentially 'manual flight' regime where that 'hands on' flying practice will be invaluable. There must be a balance of training that emphasises that total reliance on automation is potentially dangerous but also lack of knowledge of downgrade paths and letting your core piloting skills reduce is equally as dangerous.

I flew many SAR missions in extremely difficult weather, all hand flying because we had no autopilot, just a rudimentary stability system and RadAlt and Baro height holds. I wouldn't say that makes me a better pilot, far from it I feel we 'got away with it' many times. We, as a crew, achieved what we had to do with the equipment we had at the time. No more, no less.

NS crews fly multiple flights in difficult weather to tricky destinations where, again IMHO, the full use of automatics is a godsend to reduce the fatigue encountered in a long days helicopter flying. When it is prudent and safe to do so then perhaps reverting to manual flight for the next approach might well reap benefits on the day the systems all fall over.

Just my ramblings.

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 11th Sep 2013 at 15:42.