PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2013, 14:58
Say Again, Over!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
means that people are very focused as they fly them, energy management has been thoroughly planned and a missed approach is considered a high probability
You know, as the SOP advocates circle the wagons and defend them at all costs they also ridiculize any kind of hand-flying proficiency and leave it for the nice, CAVU, no-wind days.

Your quote above, Yellow Pen, startles me as I always thought that this was how every approach was done. regardless of the weather or the wind. I now understand why accidents can happen since, according to your thinking, any kind of "out the box thinking" has to be properly briefed before hand. AF over the Antlantic comes to mind. Had they thought of properly briefing this loss of speed indication event, they then would have reacted appropriately. Funny how they didn't brief it. I wonder why...

Once again, refering to your quote above, are you implying that Alpageur and other such cow-boys were not managing their energy in a planned fashion or that they were otherwise not focused on the approach? Isn't a missed approach always "likely". I do think he was arguing that very fact a few pages ago.

I see this thinking creep up on our side of the airwaves, in ATC, where we favor automation for any kind of "hand controlling" and then see controllers turn into Air Traffic Spectators when CBs abound.

I know what the answers will be, but just thought it had to be said. I'll check the flames in a week.