PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go around, thrust reduction altitude oei
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2013, 14:57
Ops_Room_Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go around, thrust reduction altitude oei

we are an A330 Operator and airbus and co policy for Go around is, TOGA to 1500ft then accelerate. For two engine scenario my view is this is correct but if the MAP procedure stipulates a higher for climb then if you can achieve this within 5 mins TOGA great. if not and you continue to climb higher at MCT then accel then climb again (in two engine accel I think you are energy sharing and will still be climbing.

For OEI I do not believe that you can guarantee you will make the required climb gradient required (std 2.1%, 2.5% )
As MAP procedures i believe are designed for AEO.
I do produce tables for our crew that show OEI Go Around mass limits/ capability for a range of climb gradients -v- altitude with factors for non std pressure, temp and air con/anti ice.
However even if this showed we can achieve (e.g) 2.5% climb at 5000ft at 40c with a weight of 200t, it does not guarantee we can continue to climb at this gradient to the required MAP altitude without busting the 10minute (OEI) limit..after which we would be at MCT and climb rate would be reduced and may not meet the requirements of the MAP procedure.

We have carefully designed Engine out Procedures for take-off which our contractor advises should also be used for OEI Go Around. This makes sense to me as they have analysed the terrain and obstacles after DER ( no turns permitted before DER) and will take you safely on one engine to a HP over a Navaid. Although the aircraft is GO around and not take-off, it will still be using TOGA (and its limits) will possibly be higher, >200ft.

It would seem our some are teaching, for OEI Go Around, that you should climb to 1500ft and then level off accel and then continue climb but follow the MAP, this is fraught with risk for me as it does not follow the MAP as designed and the overall gradient (with a accel segment included) may not meet the required gradient.

I understand others state you should climb until reaching the MAP altitude, my only concern here is that we may reach the 10mins TOGA limitation before we reach MAP altitude and then either be accelerating or climbing at MCT, both of which would have an inferior climb rate and may not meet the std required.

An accel/level off segment for AEO does not concern me as we achieve a climb gradient of >10% even at heavy weights and the accel segment is energy sharing so there is still climb. However for OEI our climb rate is not a great deal higher then std and would be reduced somewhat after TOGA limits are used.

Hope that makes some sense, I have been waffling somewhat, but really would appreciate thoughts on this as soon as possible