PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Cessna 172 is too difficult to land...
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2013, 08:58
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I often see pilots, operators and instructors who have different ideas about how the aircraft should be operated. Certainly reduction on wear and tear is a great idea when you can. But, using the example of the DA-42, the check pilot mistakenly thought that trying to preserve a nylon skid on the tail by three pointing it was a better idea than reducing wear and tear on the nosewheel.

The failure of the nosewheel will be more likely, and very much more serious than wear and tear on a tail skid, if you even can drag it, I did not.

It is admirable that pilots think about their operations in the context of aircraft condition, but the normal operating techniques, and manufacturer's recommended practices are always best.

For landing, rarely do I see a pilot really trying to be gentle, though it is more likely if they own the plane. I remember a pilot flying in to meet myself and two of my kids to take us for a mountain sightseeing flight. Though I'm confident to fly, single engine over the Rocky Mountains raises my awareness of safety, and causes me to consider the pilot's skills more than I otherwise might. I saw a C210, touch down with superb grace, and the nosewheel smoothly held off, until it gently settled on its own with full nose up elevator maintained. Right then and there, I judged the pilot to be of excellent skill, and that he was.

New pilots: It might be a very small part of your flying, but the grace and precision of your landings, and effort you place on these skills speak volumes about how you treat the aircraft in general, and will certainly shape the opinion of observers. Some of these observers might be deciding if they should give you the plane again next time

Then, on the other hand, if the operator of the aircraft does not care how you treat it, that's a whole different problem!