PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 10th Sep 2013, 22:13
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DB

Take the worse environment the law allows you to operate in. Work out the safest way to do it......and do it........and do it......time and time again. One concept, one procedure, one outcome....every time.

The trouble is - and this is what this thread is all about you are NOT getting the last part of your mantra every time. Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing a possible CFIT.

We all agree that using the autopilot in bad weather is the best method to use. Are you really argueing that NS pilot's don't have the skill set or ability to also use manual flying techniques in good weather - just to keep that side of their professional ability.

I explained before about the difference between getting into an an aircraft and putting an aircraft on, where you feel at one with the a/c rather than just sitting it.

Through my flying of RAF Tutors I meet many fixed wing pilots who are worried that new generation pilots are becoming disconnected from reality as the use of autopilots is nearly mandatory in the FW environment. You only have to read their accident reports to see that basic flying skills seem to have evaporated - especially when the autopilot misbehaves due to icing/leaving tape over static ports - there seems to be an inability to set an attitude and power that you know gives a certain speed in a level attitude.

Now tell me that good hand flying would have saved these lives.
If the pilot flying had recognised he was entering a UP which was beyond the authority of the autopilot and used the correct hand flying skills to recover from the UP then yes. I presume you don't teach recovery from UPs using the autopilot?

I look forward to the recommendations set out when we see the AIB report.

HF

Last edited by Hummingfrog; 10th Sep 2013 at 22:19.