PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2013, 19:43
Yellow Pen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you forget to take your Alzheimers medication BP? Here's some news for you: people still fly into Gib, and do cloud breaks and VORs at ZRH, and 'super-scary-aren't-I-clever' approaches with close in terrain like Chambrey. We don't do NDBs (they've been almost retired don't you know, it's RNAV now), and the IGS at HKG has gone but it was no worse than the Canarsie at JFK anyway and there's plenty of those around. The difference today is that people don't go stooging around in high risk environments for kicks. If it has to be done it gets done, with a lot of briefing beforehand to avoid an unpleasant encounter with CumoloGranitus. If there's a safer way, people choose it.

We don't get paid (peanuts or otherwise) to act as Sky Gods who'll hand fly at any opportunity. We get paid to assess risk and act accordingly. Fools can fly. Autopilots can fly. Professionals make decisions. If I want to hand fly I'll choose a nice day at a known airport with a safe environment and tuck that practice away under my belt for the day I really do need to do a cloud break with a circle to land with an engine out at a mountainous airport in bad weather. My company and my passengers don't expect me to be upping the risk levels in tricky areas for fun just because I can, just like I don't expect my train driver or heart surgeon to push the limits. There's a whole lot of dead train passengers in Spain who wish their driver had played it safe.