PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying skills not a priority says Embry Riddle educator
Old 10th Sep 2013, 14:18
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been much chat on here about dumbing down of handling skills. The stories of 'the old days' are still relevant. To my knowledge aerodynamics has not changed, nor the law of physics. There may be some whizz bang box of tricks that is supposed to save us from ourselves, but it is still us looking out the window and assessing if all is going well, and if George or ourselves is doing the correct thing to maintain or correct the situation.
In my base training in 1981, B732, it was a requirement to do a minimum of 6 circuits, as now, but 3 had to be at night and the day ones included 1 non glide slope guidance. This is not now the case in both instances. Indeed I know of airlines that did not include night sessions in the TQ sim course until it was suggested by the SFI's as being a good idea. There are other airlines that do not allow landings with out glide slope guidance. In day time this could be VNAVPTH from the FMC, captains only, and at night it must be electronic.
The XAA's have allowed this dumbing down.
What chance have we got if the ruling authorities who are supposed to be the guardians of standards have allowed skills to be so, diluted. Are they fit for purpose as such guardians. If I was a CP or HOT I would set the bar much higher for my troops. Sadly most seem to just toe the required minimum line.