PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 10th Sep 2013, 11:41
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
If the NS mantra is always use the autopilot as it is safer actually admits that NS pilots are not capable of safe manual approaches.
I am short on time this morning....off to the Nation's Capital to show my displeasure with the current management along with about a Million other motorcyclists, Veterans, and other groups.

Short answer is I agree with the outcome but not the reason you stated that I quoted you on.

Double Bogey a couple of Years back proved Night Rig Approaches could be done better with some standardization of techniques. Today, there is discussion of advancing that concept by use of Automation on the Aircraft.

The end result is the same....better SA, more reliable control of the aircraft.

Yes...it is a zero sum game....the more Automation is used and the less hand flying done....there shall be some degradation to hands on flying skills.

Long sectors out to the Shetland Basin where you are in cruise for a couple of hours each way....what real benefit do you get in hand flying every single mile of that flight. Do you not get far more benefit from hand flying some approaches and landings? Likewise, the Captain flies out....the Co files back....now who gets all the Airport landings and who gets all the Rig landings.

Again, we are discussiing "SOP"s" that sound good but do not effectively address the issues as we would hope.