PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying skills not a priority says Embry Riddle educator
Old 10th Sep 2013, 11:27
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to " Britain'S Air University" at Hamble, pre 1950, when most of the initial training for a Commercial Pilot's Licence was done using the Tiger Moth. We were told that it was a good training aircraft, because " It was easy to fly but difficult to fly well".
It had been the RAF's initial training type for many thousands of would be pilots. " simple to build or, if necessary, to repair". A hood over the rear, pupil's, cockpit allowed some instrument flying, with just a basic instrument panel, enough for a pupil to learn, as a beginner. (Another pilot sat in front as a safety pilot.)
Link Training was partially drawing patterns, but leaning how to/ not to stall and spin - and how to recover from both. Ground School took up half of each day and includes " How our parachutes were packed. " ( We sat on them in the Tiger Moth, but did NOT use them !)
Radio and more advanced instrument flying would come later in the course on other aircraft, some with different controls, ( throttle in right hand, stick in the left or even TWO engines and RADIO...!) Or with a much faster T/O, Cruising and landing speeds. For Night flying we used a flare path, with a glide slope pulsating light.
I passed the new examinations (until 1st Apr. it might have been for a "B Licence") and Ministry Flying tests and was issued with a CPL.(but without an I/R.) I had 150.hours (and 20 minutes!) I was employed the following day. Just Joy Riding, but a start. It was PAID experience for me.
Most people had to have their "Holidays at Home", because foreign currency was just not available ( it was limited to £25 pa. each)

My employer might be paid 7/6 by each of my two passengers for a "Quick Flip" or £1/10 for a longer trip. I also did some one or two hour charters to places like Farnborough and Hull.

Last edited by Linktrained; 10th Sep 2013 at 11:51.