PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 10th Sep 2013, 11:04
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HC

I agree with your definition of the different skills that a NS Pilot needs.

I perhaps disagree with your final analysis of the last few minutes of this accident.

It seems to be a failure to monitor and therefore notice that the IAS was decaying - I don't know the rate of increase that the autopilot gives as you beep forward - will it be fast enough once the IAS has decayed below say 40kts. I presume a good handful of collective plus lowering the nose would be faster. I understand that minor adjustments using the autopilot during an approach on limits is the way to do it. When it all starts going wrong in a major way then manual flying skills may get you out of the situation. The key, of course, is to spot the divergence from the expected flight path as soon as possible and use the autopilot to adjust back to the required flightpath. Once you get into a UP then manual flying skills may get you out of danger - you may overtorque by pulling loads of power but better trash the transmission than the whole a/c

I am sure you don't teach UP recoveries using the autopilot?

HF