PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2013, 09:50
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly don't think I will be better with 10000hours more on my logbook... I proved my case in an earlier post.
I don't think you really proved anything other than you think you've got nothing more to learn. Come back in 10000 more hours and tell us what you think then.

In the US Navy, they land on aircraft carriers with 300 hours total or less... Can you do that with your 300000 hours crossing the Atlantic? I very much doubt so...
I'm willing to give it a go with the appropriate training, just another skill to learn! Those super hot aces can still struggle when they get their hands
on the heavy metal, seen it plenty. Riding a jet ski to driving a supertanker.

One of my ex-colleagues Cpt 737 (a good friend) left a while ago and joined a 747 outfit as FO... Although he said the Captains had a lot (!) of hours, the level was weak. Very low actually. So don't come and tell me you need a new set of skill to fly what is just another Boeing....!!!! Airplanes are all the same in the end... But only if you understand the dynamics of flying, can you accept that fact! If you fly just by SOP's however....
Interesting that you feel qualified to comment on something you've not actually done. Skill fade is a fact of life when you fly long haul. The ability to be slick is way down the list of priorities in that kind of flying. Staying out of trouble and keeping a cohesive functioning cockpit team when everyones been awake for 12 hours instead of in bed, the terrain is hostile, the ATC is unreliable and the aircraft is at the limits of it's performance - thats whats important. Flying a slick approach to 500' to save time is meaningless on a 2 hour turnaround.

So before I was reckless to do something like that, but now it's fine????
I don't believe I used the term reckless. I even said I've flown to an SOP of 500. I did say that with experience I think 1000 is better and I think the balance of time saved vs increased risk supports that.

Im leaving this forum now. I'm wasting my time anyway as it is only crowed with people who do not share my core values and ideals.
You know sometimes when you're the only person thinking a certain way it isn't because you're a visionary.