PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2013, 09:12
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alp - I didn't say you were Dutch, I simply asked if you'd been to the KLM Academy as you appear to share some traits with the their graduates which are well known in my company. What I did say is you don't have that many hours. 8000, and the biggest hardware is what, a 737 NG? In my company 8000 hours is less than a decades experience, and anyone who implies they've mastered flying and don't need to learn anymore after such a short time would be looked upon with scepticism. Experience improves judgement. Good judgement means you're not forced to use your good skills. Stay out of trouble, not get out of trouble. If you really are the ace of the base with outstanding hand flying skills I'd be very careful about where your FOs are in the operation. I've heard that claim before, always from Captains, and almost always from the ones who do their own thing and leave their colleague either out of the loop, out of their comfort zone or second guessing what their magnificent captain is going to do next. Fortunately they've mostly retired now. I fly with some guys I'd regard as genuinely outstanding pilots, yet not one of them have claimed to be such. Perhaps thats a British thing.

If you want to fly a high speed, low power approach and bring the throttles off the stops at 510' then go ahead, your choice. Personally I don't think the extra 10 seconds it saves is worthwhile.