PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2013, 08:30
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh dear. That's a bit of a shocker, Orac. I think it was generally expected that some customers were likely to reduce their orders a bit, but that's a big cut. And actually doing it feels very different to just talking about it. I hope one jumper doesn't start to encourage others, not good for the UK's cost-per-unit figures in the longer run.

Originally Posted by JSFfan
what's happening is that both sides of dutch gov have agreed that the f-35 is what they want
Absolutely wonderful. You're such a fanatic about this program and so blinkered to the issues that you can even see this bad news as a triumph for the wonder-jet. Perhaps it doesn't worry you as much, but I find it concerning because of the potential this has to cost the UK more, the likelihood that it could reduce NATO capability in Western Europe and the further uncertainty it casts over our future defence spending and, therefore, our ability to conduct future ops.

A fleet of working F-35s should increase capability. An under-sized, unaffordable F-35 fleet could do just the opposite.

Last edited by Courtney Mil; 10th Sep 2013 at 08:38.