PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 10th Sep 2013, 07:58
Bravo73

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I've not been around for a couple of days so apologies for referring to a previous posts but I feel that there are a couple of points that need clarification:

Originally Posted by Mitchaa
Both 2012 cases could have limped home had they not had emergency lubrication fail warnings.
I disagree. The EmLub system is designed to work in the case of total loss of MRGB oil. It is not a 'fix all problems' solution that can make up for the catastrophic failure of the main gearbox shaft. This was the case for REDW and CHCN.

Originally Posted by Mitchaa
What strikes me there is 3 for CHC, 3 for Bond, 0 for Bristows. Have Bristows just been extremely lucky or is it a given that the next incident will involve a Bristow's helicopter?
Hmmm, I wonder which company operated REDW's gearbox before it had recently returned to EC for overhaul...? Yep, like you said, 'extremely lucky'.

Originally Posted by Hummingfrog
The infamous incident where a fully serviceable Airbus did a low pass and instead of climbing away it stayed level and flew into the trees - I believe the wrong mode in the autopilot had been selected!
This was Air France Flight 296. Due to the unexpected low height for the fly-past (30'), the aircraft engaged it's 'alpha protection' mode so that when the co-pilot selected TOGA power, the elevators did not respond to the pilot's command. This was to prevent the aircraft stalling because it was already being flown at maximum angle of attack. The outcome, like you said, was that rather than climbing away, the aircraft flew straight into the trees.