PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 9th Sep 2013, 22:54
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
A-b, so you have had a long aviation career doing the things you did in the way you did them, without crashing. So bully for you, you must have all the right ideas!

Trouble is, so have very nearly all the rest of us. Just because one person, or even 10 people, get through a lifetime of aviation without crashing doesn't mean they are flyboy gods. Chances are it just means they were lucky, or at least not unlucky. It depresses me to hear the "I've always done it like this, its worked for me" line because its so unintelligent and fails to appreciate the nature of statistics and chance. The right way to operate is based on careful consideration of what could go wrong, how to trap it before it causes an accident, having error tolerant procedures to allow for inevitable human error and all the other good stuff which too many people never think about.

This is why, say, a democracy on how to operate would be a complete disaster. But that's the problem, which dictator is going to decide the right way?