PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving Melb to Broome
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2003, 23:43
Northern Chique

PPRuNe's Paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If youre comin up the centre track........ all you sods forgot tennant creek!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so its forgetable! heheheee fantastic meals, good beer, great company at the tennant creek hotel...

Im usually easily tracked down... just follow the signs that say ambulance station! I aint kidding!!!

Come April, roads may be verging on opening... check the road reports on the net.. otherwise you may get stuck prior to or at Katherine..... Vic river bridge on the victoria highway has been closed for over a month now... and as of yesterday is some 6 - 8 meters under flood water which will constitute engineering works prior to opening. Contact the Vic River Roadhouse or Katherine Police if you are in any doubt.

Hint List From Multiple Trips...

Bring another person along if you have room, sharing the driving or not, company is usually a distraction from long miles covered.

Lots of water, two litres min per person, and salt free nibbles

CD's or cassettes by the doz... the radio frequencies are literally hours apart...

Stop lots, and take piccies.. keep a journal, you will never forget the experience anyway so why not record all the details

Dont drive at night ..... after Cooper Pedy esp... Kangaroos, camels, donkeys, buffalo and cattle are NOT fenced in and wander particularly at night. If you do, keep below 80km per hour... many cattle have walked out between oncoming traffic, made invisible by a combination of oncoming lights, and your own low beam.

Spares esp if you have an older car and handy tools to fit them. Suggestions would be radiator hoses, fan belts, electrical tape, spare fuses and bulbs...

My 40l fuel tank in the car required frequent stops but does the trip easily without carrying extra, just dont cough too loudly at the fuel prices..... At remote Roadhouses expect to pay upward of $1.40 to $1.60 per litre. In Tennant we are currently paying $1.14pl for unleaded

I stilll carry my EPIRB everywhere... you want help asap is something goes really wrong.

Have a great trip!