PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where did it happen to you?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2003, 23:12
Northern Chique

PPRuNe's Paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The approach of many voices of "the minority less fortunate" has never failed to leave me agast.

First time..... Kununurra '98 ..... when I got in the way of one male person beating the hell outta his wife with the buckle end of his belt and laying into her with work boots .... never again.... I just call the police now, if she dies because I didnt render aquequate assistance, well that will have to be the problem of the police, the soft headed law courts and the legal system.

The general public bear the brunt of a self inflicted outcry of alcohol and substance abuse. Down south we used the americanism "trailer trash" or "gutter trash". Here its other names best not discussed in a public forum usually instigated by the so called victim.

During work hours, I find bribery in a fashion works well... usually in the following format..

"You want me to help, sure I will give you all the help you need, but you going to do two things for me.... do you understand.."

"Yes Sister, Im sorry"

"I dont want to be sorry, I didnt derserve that in the first place. You will be still, you will do what you are told, or you get out of my ambulance now, and I call the police"

"Yes Sister"

While all the above sounds very subserviant in a manner of speaking, unless my life is in danger, I would never throw any one out of my truck... and believe me if anyone has an excuse to have a racially tainted opinion, I would have to come close.

I deal with swearing, name calling, violent people every day who earn more per week than I could dream of, in some cases are less than hygenic in the loosest possible terms, rip the relos off blind, calling in medical intervention when that family member is about to die or already dead. The reason..... they are now going to miss out on the pension and carers cheque!

The kids growing up are no different... these are fourth, fifth sixth generation wefare dependants, already alchohol dependant, changing the name of "culture" as they see fit. For once a proud race, fiercely protective of family and kin, now think mass riots, payback (often leathal), child and spousal abuse is acceptable and has manipulated the current thinking to anyone objecting is a racist white *%#t. Tit for tat practice is the bane of my current existance.

For anyone who watches the ABC Australian Story.....there was a very interesting program some weeks ago on the FNQ people having to help them selves.... a realieving ideal if I ever saw one... maybe there is hope after all.