PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2013, 12:50
OPEN DES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......

This smells like typical bashing of the Spanish. 3.8 miles is closer to 1300ft AAL than the 1000ft as mentioned btw. Agreed: on the fast side, but who are we to judge from the sideline; we dont have all info. My anglosaxon airline also mandates 1000ft gate for stable criteria. I comply because its my job and keeps me in the job.
If the company can demonstrate 100% compliance with stable approaches there is a huge saving on the insurance premiums in some cases. I am happy to oblige, but its a false economy. Just think about the following: Some are happy to land stable on a 1500m wet runway but have concerns about a 4000m dry runway with vapp+15@500ft and consider it a deathsin, just how contradictive is that with regards to actual safety and riskmanagement!! Pilots enslaved to rules imposed by pencil pushers!
Just acknowledge that stable-approach statistics are used for costsaving in a shortterm bonus culture and get of your 'higher moral' horses.
I just jumpseated (no ticket) on an iberia a321 and we did a visual approach turning final at 500ft, safely and efficiently! Please dont look down on Iberia because they can actually exercise a bit of discretion and are able to fall back onto hard earned flyingskills.
As my colleague above described: i am fed up of presumably brits who are so overly keen to attack our iberian flying brethren on any occasion.
Just because my and your company has imposed 1000ft as a stable-gate (on a false economy) doesnt mean that the rest is wrong!