PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 9th Sep 2013, 09:14
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
212 and others. The point made by the passenger, The Learner, was specifically directed at the brief correlating in simple language who does what with the controls during an approach, such that both crew fully recognise beforehand how all three profiles, lateral, longitudinal and vertical, will be managed and modulated thought the approach.

I am not qualified or intelligent enough to determine if this would improve our performance and if so, how we would do it.

Shields Down is the SASless cry and I would like to see that applied everywhere. Some operators, some fleets and indeed some individual pilots may be doing good things already, however, to cure the patient it needs to first recognise it is sick!!

If this accident is a CFIT, then that is 3 in the last 5 years, 2 of which are fatals. That alone should signal all of us on the UK NS sector that we have a very specific problem. It is probably training, probably procedures, probably environment. The fact is this seems to be a UK NS issue right now.

Pretending that we are immune and therefore not disposed to look inwards a very British disease!!

I have been intrigued by one Norwegian Operator subsidiary who, from the moment I took my job, have worked me hard to answer their questions, demonstrate the full capability of the AP and shown generally a determination to learn, evaluate and apply the design operating principles of the EC225. They have lobbied their Group Training Management hard to effect change. These people, by the way, are know as (Operator Name)-No-Way!! (Norway), Due to their steadfast refusal to see a degradation in their crew training and standards amongst other things. Interestingly they have solid union support for this which immunises them to some extent from outside interference from foreign group issues.

Contrary to this, on my side of the NS, not one UK Instructor has ever approached us for guidance or advice on operational issues such as DAFCS deplyoment and management despite the introduction of new and fantastic tools such as the Standard Groundspeed Mode. This is culture working against us. I am not criticising the individuals involved as I know well they fear that seeking such advice would be viewed poorly by their management and is probably sanctioned formally. This is poor culture. This has to change.

DB

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 9th Sep 2013 at 09:18.