PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 9th Sep 2013, 07:42
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
A passenger has asked if we brief specifically on how the approach will be flown between the AP and the Pilot Flying. In my 20 years offshore experience I would say we do not cover this in enough depth. Yet the response from crews is borderline hysterical that seems to centre on the checks being too long already. It is this that has to change. Our culture and our attitudes.
I think HC had the correct response, which mirrors my view - I think! The brief - with respect to this specific element - should only cover whether the approach is coupled (default 4-axis/3-cue as per SOP) or hand flown, along with discussion about speeds (ATC, weather etc). Uncoupled would only be in VMC for practice, or following system degradation, in which case there might be other considerations to brief too. Everything else should be in the OMA/B - such as standard calls (do I really need the brief to include advising half scale deviation?) and handover (or not) protocols.