PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 8th Sep 2013, 21:48
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
DB yes it has drifted but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Regarding your point, I'm not too sure why such a thing as who/what is flying what bit needs to be covered, IF the company SOP is to do things in a specific and standard way.

I think most of us here wonder why the L2 pilots decided to fly their loc approach coupled to 3 axes, and probably (possibly?) it would have been beneficial if all occupants of the cockpit had been reminded that airspeed was going to be controlled by the collective.

But I would propose that the better solution than always covering the points DB raises in every brief, would be to have in the Ops Man that "coupled approaches should be flown using 4-axis coupling. Should it be required to fly the approach 3 or fewer axes for some good reason, the briefing shall cover which elements of the flight path will be controlled by the pilot flying using which controls, and which are expected to be controlled by the autopilot" (or some such text more elegantly written).

No, its not in the Bristow 225 part B, but maybe it should be, although I have never encountered anyone who wanted to fly an approach 3 axis in a 225. There could always be a first time though!

Last edited by HeliComparator; 8th Sep 2013 at 21:49.