PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Misc questions for CFIs
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2013, 20:30
M_broFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Tinstaafl! That was the phrase/saying I was looking for. It would not matter if the best offer came down the road but I did not have the qualifications to apply for it.

You don't need the CPL to be an instructor, but if you're starting from scratch you won't save any money by not doing it, so you may as well.
I do believe I've heard this before, but can't remember exactly. I always thought you needed the CPL before you can get paid for your time, which was exactly what being an instructor was supposed to be. Can you clarify a bit more?

You need to at least do CPL groundschool, but instead you could do the full ATPL groundschool. If you do this, you then have 3 years to get a CPL and IR, otherwise the groudschool expires.

So my view would be do CPL-FI(A), then in 2 years look at whether you need or want an IR and do it then. If at that point you decide you don't want the IR, all it's cost you is a few extra exams in the onset. Much better than the other way round where you suddenly decide that you want an IR and need to sit 14 exams to get it.
Ah, I think I read that there is no transition from CPL to fATPL, so if the goal was to go airline, then CPL was a waste. I take it that is what you are saying?

What do you mean "the groundschool expires"? Do you mean my groundschool is only good for 3 years?

The main reason I am considering the IR (or IMC, although they are different, I know) is because UK weather can be unpredictable. Being able to fly despite non-VFR weather --- I thought this was worth taking the course? Of course, aside from being able to teach it as an FI(A)....