PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 8th Sep 2013, 19:10
SASless

Received 512 Likes on 214 Posts
Briefs....which are not worn and are not short....were always a rant I loved to go on about.

Eket Airport to the QIT (or reverse)...max air time maybe four minutes....and SOP would have you....well in reality you would be a Stage Act if you could read all the Checks out loud much less get a response....and that was on a Bell 212 with Skids much less retractable landing gear.

A well known American once shortened the Take Off Brief to "We're Outta Here!" which sufficed for the the Ubit Hopping routine.

In Vietnam I heard a VNAF H-34 Pilot deal with both Brief and ATC clearance with the simple Phrase....."I go now!".

Why can we not use the terminology...."Standard Brief" and verbally note any differences just so the other guy knows what to expect and look for while you are wiggling the sticks. No deviation....Two Words gets the job done. Landing Briefs in IMC/IFR do need to be a bit more specific....but still pretty limited.

Why not go to a "Silent Checklist" and a simple Thumbs Up or terse...."Checks Good!" unless there are deviations?