PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 8th Sep 2013, 13:22
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving forward together

I'd like to thank all contributors on this thread who are proactively discussing ways to improve our safety culture and allowing a "shields down" discussion to continue. It is much appreciated by us pax, or SLF which acronym I personally take as being a light-hearted and good-natured term in the realm of the Rotorheads threads, in the same theme as bus drivers

Through the open discussion here on approach methods and SOPs, training etc. I'm getting a much better understanding as a back seat passenger on what is involved in approaches, in my last flight I watched the PNF take control and land at the heliport, I'm flying back out again tomorrow (I do numerous trouble-shooting/short trips offshore as part of my day job) and will make a point of sitting where I can watch the PF (type is a S92A so you'll have an idea of my seat placement in pole position at the main cabin door starboard side).

Wrt. whether or not to use the rebreather, this is something worth discussing further. I have been trained to use them since their inception by Shell back in my NS offshore days. The first version was alien in design and use, with the bag floating up in your face. The next version (Airpocket Plus) was a vast improvement, and at least in Malaysia they let you use it in the HUET exercises albeit with the "one breath" cartridge removed. Our latest version over here in Canada, the HUEBA, is IMHO the best so far, but our exposure to it is limited to pool exercises and inversion in a chair rig, we are not allowed to use it in the HUET exercises due to potential for mis-application and subsequent damage to your lungs i.e. if you forget to breath out on the ascent.

Whether or not the equipment will be used in a capsize will be determined by many variables, however if you end up upside down in a poor visibility environment, disorientated due to air bubbles and cold water hits your face, it could save your life.

When we do our sea day over here as part of our offshore certification we have the option to jump into the sea off the rescue boat. This is done wearing a Fitzswright immersion suit and not the Helly Hansen HTS-1 that we wear on the flight, reason being cost of suits and previous use in the pool. Not many jump in, especially if you are doing a recurrent course, as you generally get a bit more water in your suit from the face seal breaking as some air still finds a way to avoid getting "burped" out prior to jumping. Nevertheless the cold water shock to me and that reflective gasp happens just from the water on your face. You have to mentally tell yourself not to breath, when you have a breathing device the opposite is true.

In the same way that indecision can cause an accident to occur the same action can cause the outcome to be more disastrous.

I look forward to reading the final AAIB report to see how many pax actually deployed and used their rebreathers. I hope that this will force the respective safety regulating bodies who determine the survival training curriculum to revise and improve on what we currently do and make it more realistic. Practice makes perfect, and once every 3 or 4 years depending in what certification you are doing is too long. I would prefer to see annual rebreather/HUEBA training mandatory.

Safe flying

Max