PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 8th Sep 2013, 12:44
Tractor_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB asks:

lets hear if anyone is currently briefing in such detail that there is no doubt, at the start of the approach, the clear division of duties between the AP and the Crew??

Well yes. And for each crew member.

While I might not go into such great detail if we are doing, e.g. an ARA technically required for 9999 Sct/005, if it is likely to be anything near minima then we will brief explicitly.

E.g. for an ARA:
"This will be a fully coupled approach. We will let the FMS establish on finals. When you are satisfied that the approach and go-around sectors are clear, I will beep the radalt hold down to [MDH]. you will monitor this. You will then centre and select the heading hold and give me courses to steer...
... in the event of a go-around, you will select AltP, which is set at 1500ft and I will steer the aircraft at least 30 degrees to the right, and adjust speed and rate of climb as required."

I will also remind my co-pilot that once he is visual, I am more than happy for him to continue to command me to fly headings, speeds, rad-alt height etc. until he is satisfied that he can fly a safe, visual final approach.

Similar guidance for other approaches.