PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2013, 10:07
SusanBoyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do hope these inferences of "bad attitude" are not directed at me...but if they are, and that is some individuals interpretation, then fair enough, but your concerns are misplaced.

My argument here is not one of "deserving" a quick command, but more that the recruitment drive was aimed at people who were presumably required at a higher level of experience, which in my mind suggested a quicker command than would be expected as a new joiner with limited experience. With this in mind, and with command many many years away in my current airline, I applied. I was open and honest at selection, and asked the question of the recruiters as to the length of time expected to command (provided you fill all the required criteria that wingswinger detailed). I stated that their presentation said that 6 years was the average, and asked the question, to be told that it would be "much quicker for you". Subsequent communication has left me completely in the dark over this issue.

Current FO's would be justifiably peed off if a new joiner jumped the list ahead of them, which I understand, but a seniority system is not strictly in place, and that is attractive to an applicant that comes from one where seniority is in place, and "dead mans shoes" is practically the only way forward to command.

As for causing issues with junior commanders flying with more experienced FO's (in general terms) I do that a lot, so I assure you, that would not be an issue for my part. My role has, and always will be, to support the guy or girl in the other seat, no matter what seat I'm sat in, to ensure a safe and enjoyable day out.

My best guess at what is going on here, is an attempt by management to "divide and conquer"-a common practice these days, and all in a race to the bottom line. I personally don't see what is wrong wit stating ones experience, and pushing for career progression, but clearly if you've never been in the position of waiting 18 years for command, then you won't understand these frustrations.

Anyway, good luck all, I really am off this time, but I'll leave you with one parting comment...

If we don't start sticking up for each other in this industry, we are all

Last edited by SusanBoyle; 8th Sep 2013 at 10:08.