PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 8th Sep 2013, 09:18
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
The learner,

Thank you for your very well written and informed posting on this forum. It is really good for the crews to hear what you guys in the back are thinking, discussing and worrying about.

CHECKLISTS, actually you may well have stumbled on something really relevant here despite Overthawks simplistic answer.

My previous and current job gives me oversight of a lot of Operators procedures and checklists. All I have seen do not formally address how the Pilot Flying intends to deploy the automatics in sufficient detail to correlate the contingencies when a Mixed Mode approach is flown. It is rather implied by a very simplistic statement like "This will be a 3 Axis coupled ILS etc."

I must stress that there is no valid reason to fly a real 3 Axis approach in a 4 Axis helicopter that I can think of. It is more difficult and potentially dangerous when low and slow at the bottom of the approach if the pilots fail to recognise the collective (power) is in their control.

SASless implores us to let our shields down if we are to identify areas ŵhere we can reduce any risks to our passengers. I think your question is extremely valid, thought provoking and should be carefully considered by all the stakeholders involved in this business.

So Overthawk, Instead of slamming the door in his face lets hear if anyone is currently briefing in such detail that there is no doubt, at the start of the approach, the clear division of duties between the AP and the Crew??

DB

Oh! The Learner, one more point. I well understand your self degenerate reference to you and your colleagues as SLF.

However, please be reassured that to 99.9% of offshore crews on this forum you are "Passengers". Anyone referring to our Passengers as SLF is a stone cold moron and most likely not an Offshore Pilot. Even in jest it is disgusting to me given the nature of the human tragedies that these events actually represent.

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 8th Sep 2013 at 09:32.