PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Metropolitan University
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2003, 18:49
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot 16

I too was a student of LGU last year and I would agree with all that my contemporaries have said above. Remember, however, that at LGU there are class sizes that may be anything up to 25 people. Thus, less personal attention than you might get in a private school. Private study becomes much more important. See my comments below.

I would add, however, that the biggest problem with LGU is nothing to do with the course but rather its location. The building is right opposite the Tower of London.

LGU does have halls of residence, but you are not allowed to occupy them because all available places are reserved for three year degree students.

The university accomodation office (so called) is a total waste of space: all they do is to give you a list of rooms for rent which they can't even claim to be up to date. That apart, they are no help at all.

There are hostels locally run by private organisations, if you can get into one of these all well and good. However there is intense competition for places in these establishments. If you are over 30 years of age then forget it: they won't admit you even if they have places.

Remember, you are competing for the limited local accommodation with students of
1. other faculties of LGU,
2. students at Queen Mary Westfield College (London Univ.) and 3. students at the City University.

In practice, you are better looking for accommodation in 'LOOT'. Be prepared for it to be an hour or more's commute away. Commuting, apart from being most unpleasant and exhausting, is very expensive in London. Be warned, the ATPL course is VERY HEAVY. You need to be able to do at least three hours of work at home in the evening - every evening. It doesn't help if you arrive home after an hour's strap hanging and feeling utterly b*gg***d.

Quite alot of the accommodation advertised in the local press is in Hackney. Nothing wrong with Hackney exept that it is a tubeless zone; buses only except for some limited main line into Liverpool Street. Not good in the London morning rush hour.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. We had seven nationalities in our class. Everyone on the course was there to work. Everyone got on well with everyone else. We were, and continue to be, all friends.

If you can just get your accommodation sorted then go for it.

Good luck Kid.

Best regards,

BroomstickPilot