PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Leuchars air show, USAF no show?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2013, 19:02
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airshow Organisation

I organised the Waddington Airshow in the late nineties. I can see that it is more difficult these days with the shrinking of budgets and the reduction in the size of Air forces worldwide. The guys who sit behind desks for hours on end at the end of a telephone trying to persuade people to participate have my deepest sympathy - it is not easy. Also trying to achieve a balanced show is hard work, and therere is also the high rank factor, where after you have organised the display, someone one with stars on their shoulders throw you a wobbly, like 'were having some VIPs to lunch at 1pm and don't want noisy jets farting about in the circuit - so make sure the noise level is kept to a minimum'. Re-write the programme...

We have to accept that the military world is shrinking and increasingly short of the readies. No longer can we call up matey on an old Sqn to come and do a beat-up. Everything is so regimented that it is painful. Live with it and realise that the guys are doing the best they can...