PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 17:09
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humm
The NHP would have his eyes clued to the instruments while the HP would certainly be monitoring them while looking up to see if he had the required visual parameters to land. His scan in/out would increasingly be out as he neared MDH and probably fully out by the 100ft to go call.
Surprising assumption.

SAS
As i am not flying on the North Sea these days...and do not know what the current procedures are on this......I will rely upon Humm's post to be correctly stating the situation.

My response to his statement quoted above is that it has it completely backwards in my humble opinion.

The HP should be focused upon the Instruments as he is doing the flying and is doing an Instrument Approach. The NHP is the one that should be looking outside and monitoring inside.

If Visual Contact is sufficient when the Decision to continue or Go Around is made....he should take the controls and make the Landing....or if a Missed Approach is done....the HP continues flying instruments and performs the Missed Approach.
I agree SAS. You described what I would call a Pilot Monitored App (PMA) and that is what I would have briefed with weather so close to minimums. The Pilot Flown App (PFA) that Hummingfrog described is what we use when weather is well above minima, essentially VMC.

==========================================

As far as 3rd party training....I can't believe that we are both going down this road, and reducing the time allotted in the sim.