PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 15:40
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HC

In other words, being of the view that in general the autopilot is better at flying than the pilot (certainly in the case of the 225 anyway) I would rather have the AP doing the more critical bit and the pilot the less critical bit, though to be honest I can't remember how well the L2 copes with cyclic coupled to GS in turbulence etc.
I totally agree that in real IMC down to limits I would rather use the coupler than hand fly - the coupler in the365N2 was pretty basic but a coupled ILS was safer to fly as all you had to do - and we were single pilot- was make sure that the instruments showed that you were actually on the glidepath and localiser!!

In my early days we had a member of management who said " we're not paying for a nav coupled function on the 332L because I pay you lot (pilots) enough so we expect you to fly and navigate!!" We had height hold, heading hold via the bug on the compass my memory fails me so I am not sure if we had airspeed or VS functions.

I am sure management views on equiping the a/c have changed since the early 1990s.

SASLESS

Sorry my fault - you are right - I got it wrong it is the NHP who is looking out and is the one who takes control to land the a/c as he is seeing the outside picture first. Memory failed me as I was generally single pilot and only really flew 2 crew for the last few years of my career.
HF

HF