PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 15:06
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
The NHP would have his eyes clued to the instruments while the HP would certainly be monitoring them while looking up to see if he had the required visual parameters to land. His scan in/out would increasingly be out as he neared MDH and probably fully out by the 100ft to go call.

I think Hummingfrog may have identified the problem without realizing it.

As i am not flying on the North Sea these days...and do not know what the current procedures are on this......I will rely upon Humm's post to be correctly stating the situation.

My response to his statement quoted above is that it has it completely backwards in my humble opinion.

The HP should be focused upon the Instruments as he is doing the flying and is doing an Instrument Approach. The NHP is the one that should be looking outside and monitoring inside.

If Visual Contact is sufficient when the Decision to continue or Go Around is made....he should take the controls and make the Landing....or if a Missed Approach is done....the HP continues flying instruments and performs the Missed Approach.

As it appears now..... you have the Flying Pilot splitting his focus....at a very critical point in the approach. That is building in a Distraction as I see it.

Anyone remember the "BA Memo" that talked about the shift in controls that was so comical to read....but had a very serious underlying safety message?

It had to do with the shift of duties and altimeter settings as I recall.

What was really funny about it to me was at that time we had three Bar Alts on the Instrument Panel but no RadAlt....and when we did a Missed Approach and shifted control from one pilot to another....the song and dance that took place resetting the Altimeters from QFE, QNH (local), and QNH Regional was just silly....and also left room for mistakes.

HC....you care to expound on why the HP, FP....the one on the Instruments doing the actual control of the aircraft should be peeking outside looking for the runway and not the NHP, PNF, NFP should not be looking outside even though he is not flying the machine at the time?

Last edited by SASless; 7th Sep 2013 at 15:10.