PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 10:46
Ray Joe Czech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a lot of good folks in training / management in many companies but there seems to be something wrong in the system.

There have been a lot of great suggestions on this thread which if acted upon may improve safety worldwide.
Fat chance. If they ask the drivers they might hear things they don't want to hear.
The only stuff that changes in my company is that driven by clients or EASA, and that is mostly addressing non-problems.
As an example of the former we had a stabilised approach policy introduced due to customer insistence (we already had a speed stable one for IFR approaches) that introduced ROD limits that had us all hauling the speed back before 1000' on the ILS and had us royally screwing up ATC. So some of that was binned so we are now in the crazy situation where onshore IFR and offshore have no ROD limit but onshore VFR approaches do. Thanks for your help there! My wife and kids feel so much less anxious!
As to EASA bollocks we now can't commence an IFR approach at an onshore airfield if the temperature is zero or sub zero unless we have minima plus 400' cloud base and possibly some visibility limit -- sorry for the vagueness, but there is so much of this bollocks that comes out nowadays it's in one ear and out the other. This, from my experience solves a problem that only exists in EASA's imagination because they can't get their head round the idea of a limited icing clearance. I can only remember one crew getting badly caught out with icing in all the time I've done this, and that was because they were being idiots.
Rant over.

Last edited by Ray Joe Czech; 7th Sep 2013 at 12:47.