PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 09:46
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by llamaman
I'm not quite sure what HC means with these comments. It would be an unusual scenario to see one flying near a power limit during a descent on an instrument approach. There are pros/cons to both techniques of flying an approach suffice to say that a modern 4-axis AP will take care of things much more accurately than your average line pilot!

The last comment smacks of a chip on the shoulder, military pilots are no more or less indoctrinated than their civilian counterparts. There seems to be a small contingent within these forums desperate to drag everything back to a military v civilian bitchfest, a shame as this only serves as a petty sideshow to some really thought-provoking posts.
The anti mil implication was only a reaction to crab's usual suggestion that "this is how we do it in the military, so by definition if must be the perfect and only way" (my paraphrasing!). Its just a bit of banter, don't worry about it. I do agree with the comment that its not only the mil basic training that teaches use of cyclic and collective too simplistically. Yes it's true that descending at 110 in a 332L is nowhere near a power limit, but it has been repeatedly demonstrated to me that the technique taught in basic training doesn't work in practice, and once the trainee has been de-trained, and then retrained to a technique that works, suddenly they no longer struggle. It would be much easier if they were taught in the first place the relationship between cyclic, collective use for speed and height control, vs the current speed, as i explained earlier, and not some simplistic BS that only works under limited circumstances.