PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA's Airspace is safe
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2003, 16:44
Raw Return

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B Sousa wrote: ”Excuse me......If its not unsafe why does it have to be fixed. Im betting those with TCAS get to see them light up quite frequently......”

If you were “one of those with TCAS” then I’m sure you would have been a bit more responsible in your post entries. You also would have been one of the guys being held more and more frequently (especially on the ground), as overworked controllers are not willing to compromise aviation safety by taking on too much traffic at any stage. We are also not willing to cram more and more aircraft into the already saturated and complex airspace over JB in order to satisfy the increasing demands for more flights. So next time your TCAS lights up, please do the paperwork so that a proper investigation can be done – we view these things in a very serious light indeed. (By the way. Thanks for all the patience out there. We actually do care, and although I won’t think twice bout making you spin, it burns my bum every time I see an aircraft go outbound in the hold)
As for the ability of the new (o/seas) controllers, only time will tell. We’ve never been willing to send local students lose on frequency if they were not found to be on standard, and I cannot see why that should change with respect to the rumoured Swiss, Irish or Ausies.

Wild Frequency wrote: “I believe there is going to be an eye-opening documentary about the above problems. Although this may all be a rumour”

The documentary is fact. If not aired on the 16th then watch the following Sunday as they only visited this week. If they asked the right questions without accepting bull-dust for an answer then you’re right, it should definitely be an eye opener. Otherwise I urge you to listen carefully to management solutions and their target dates. Playing for time is a known ploy of desperate people.

ZRH wrote: “Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just pay the local guys more so that they would stay, instead of paying a fortune to get foreign ATCs into the country?”

True statement ZRH. It unfortunately makes sense, thus not an acceptable management option. Ever heard of the expression “cut off your nose to spite your own face”? As for the scores of top quality SA controllers in the Middle East – management would rather go down in flames than make it worth their while to return.

Then again, to quote “someone high up” : “JB ATC’s are all a bunch of Primadonnas” So maybe I should wind my neck in and crawl back into my dark little cage and get on with it like a good little monkey.