PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 07:58
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
I have actually seen in the last years a true effort in many ways to avoid the kneejerk reaction syndrome - in the early 80s it was horrible.
For example there was blade strike incident and a customer aviation manager came out with a new rule that we could not land within 100 feet of a tree on pain of dismissal. The next day we loaded up the pax, flew to the work site circled and returned to base. The power line right of way was 100 feet wide so we couldn't land.
Rule rescinded about 20 minutes after the construction super called the President of the Corporation concerned. LOL
There are a lot of good folks in training / management in many companies but there seems to be something wrong in the system.
I can't comment on the North Sea operations or the companies operating therein in particular and my previous post was an attempt at an overview not location or company specific.
There have been a lot of great suggestions on this thread which if acted upon may improve safety worldwide.
A vast improvement over the 92 witch-hunt / screamfest LOL.

Last edited by albatross; 7th Sep 2013 at 08:01.