PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Sep 2013, 06:16
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOP

I sometimes wonder if commercial helicopter pilots should be required to have instrument fixed wing experience.
In the present climate of automation I think it would be a better idea for commercial fix wing pilots to have recent experience in flying light a/c.

All flying experience is valuable, fixed or rotary. I was lucky to be selected to fly Air Experience sorties for Air Training Corps Cadets in firstly the Chipmunk (bliss) then the Bulldog and finally the Tutor from 1988 til 2013. These 25 min sorties usually involved aerobatics as well as simple "instruction" on how to fly the a/c. I always used power/attitude/ trim to show how to accurately fly the a/c.

The reason that the RAF uses collective to control height and cyclic speed is accuracy. Most RAF missions require accurate time on target so one usually flies at a multiple of 60 to make it easier to work out mentally. I seem to remember the Wessex was 90Kts whereas the JP5A was 240 cruise 300 IP to target.

The ability to fly accurately during training also demonstrates your capabilities - any body can gash around the sky meandering +/-5Kts and 100ft. If you couldn't fly accurately then you were politely shown the door or became a navigator.

HC's idea that all flying training should reflect the one case where your are power limited is very odd. If you are a capable pilot then you know not to overtorque - a simple concept I believe that most ex mil pilots will be more than capable of flying an ILS using the PAT principal, I certainly did - setting a power, depending on the strength of wind and hence RoD, and an attitude depending on the speed ATC/weather required. Bobs your uncle down the slope you went!!

HF