PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB launches new video on handling approach to land
Old 7th Sep 2013, 00:08
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
Every airline pilot knows the rhetoric " If there is any doubt about the safety of the approach then go- around". So saying it again achieves very little. We already know that line.

The real question that the ATSB needs to provide an answer to, and then educate the pilot group about, is " why do experienced airline pilots find the decision difficult when they all know the standard rhetoric?"
If they answer that question honestly, discussing ego, continuation bias, overload, company pressure, company simulator training, and company requirements to immediately report a go-around through a reporting system, we might make some progress.
If they don't openly address those things ( the real issues)that drive the flawed decision making then I feel like saying " easy for you to say doctor, why don't you show us how it's done?" or " what are you doing about the fact that even though I fly domestically/regionally, my body clock is all up the whack and decision making slowed?" or " have you made a video explaining to my management that their policy of having me fill in a report for a standard go around could effect my decision making?"
NB: I do my best not to let any of those things influence my go around decision making.

Last edited by framer; 7th Sep 2013 at 00:09.