PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “They’d all be walking, talking and alive if they went around”...
Old 6th Sep 2013, 16:34
oceancrosser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theearl
Ok so do you US ride reporters prefer being cleared to land in the US with a/c ahead / on r/w or do you like the UK / rest of world (safer) approach of being cleared once the r/w is clear?

Genuine question as i know which i prefer.
Well, not belonging to the group you are trying to deride, I can tell you I much prefer the US (and at CDG) system of getting the landing clearance on check-in with tower to the very late landing clearances at LHR (has happened below 100´) which creates an additional stress factor. All it takes is some other flight checking in on LHR Twr freq at the same time the Twr is clearing you to land, where a cross transmission will mean the difference between landing or a go-around. I find these late landing clearances ridiculous especially in weather where you can see the previous traffic (usually at around 2-2,5nm ahead) and they could well use "LAND AFTER" conditional clearances which I believe was mentioned once on these forums as an option available to ATC. Your post reeks of "holier than thou" attitude" and btw I am not American.

Last edited by oceancrosser; 6th Sep 2013 at 16:35.