PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westland Scout research
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2013, 13:26
Gazzer1uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westland Scout research

Folks,

I popped the same request on military aircrews but it occurred to me not everyone may view each forum element....

I am hoping to build a flying model of a Westland Scout, probably at 1/4 scale, not an overnight project and it is going to take some time.

At this point I am researching mechanical feasibility, well that is to say my ability to be able to build it! There is every reason it will succeed as a 1/5 scale kit is available!!

However, I lived in NI from 75 to 80 and I'd like to model a version that flew in Northern Ireland as it is quite possible I saw it operationally flying as I was that snotty nosed kid hanging around the pad at HQNI (if you were the pilot or aircrew at the time!). Thus a bit of a reminiscing for me.

In doing the model I'd like to also cover the version that flew in the Falklands armed with the missiles.

This would give me some options such as fitting a Nitesun device and then the version with the missiles, even if a differing paint scheme is required.

However, it may well be that an aircraft from NI never went to the Falklands which would mean I need to build 2 unless someone knows of a version that flew with the missiles, which I certainly never saw and anticipate was not the case!

If anyone can let me know, I'd be grateful as well as a potted history.

The model will feature a shaft driven turbine engine, but sadly I doubt can reproduce those awesome sounds of the Scout, the buzz at full rotor speed and the gale and howling sounds when at hover or slow flight/take off.... but you never know.

If you Google Len Mount Westland Scout, you can see the 1/5th model..

Thanks in anticipation,

Gaz