PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 6th Sep 2013, 11:12
Bladestrike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having instructed on 332L/L1s for years, with fully functioning 4-axis autopilots, I was amazed at how many guys who were quite uncomfortable engaging that fourth axis.

Granted the old steam driven AP on the older 332s left a lot to be desired, and in cruise the collective pulsed too much to provide a smooth ride for the pax, but guys with considerable experience very rarely engaged that fourth axis at all, and it worked swimmingly with descent/approaches, climb outs etc.. The system was not smart, and would easily overtorque the bird or drop below Vy and fall out of the sky, if mismanaged, and had no alt acquire type modes, simply VS or ALT or GS, so most found it increased their workload rather than reduced it, for lack of understanding and practice in my opinion. The full system was always demonstrated and expected to be utilized in sim sessions (with OEI overshoots, etc) and on the line, with training regarding it's obvious shortcomings and things to watch for. Myself and a few guys used the 4-axis all the time, except in cruise, but most just avoided it like the plague. That's almost a decade off Canada's East coast where we had IMC to mins (Approved Lower than Standard - 100 feet DH, etc) a few times a week, and countless rig approaches at night 200 miles offshore.

I was surprised and disappointed at the lack of utilization of the full system.

Last edited by Bladestrike; 6th Sep 2013 at 11:16.